COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Former OSU head drum major and instructor Christopher Stewart Kitchen has reached a plea deal in a year long rape and kidnapping case.
This morning, Kitchen pleaded guilty to one count of sexual battery. It was one of five total charges he was facing. In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors agreed to drop the other four charges.
Kitchen was originally charged last year on two counts of rape, two counts of sexual battery and one count of offenses involving underage persons.
Court documents allege Kitchen and a 19-year-old woman went out drinking on April 15, then walked to his Columbus home. The woman reported that Kitchen refused to return her to her home and sexually assaulted her in his bedroom as she tried to escape and told him to stop, an investigator said in an affidavit filed in court.
“He encouraged her that he has sufficient contacts that he could help her with some routines and help her get in to a position where she could eventually be one of the drum majors for the marching band,” said Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien.
Kitchen led the band as head drum major in 2006-07. He was a drum major instructor in 2015, teaching the leaders of the marching band.
“He certainly was in a position of authority in the eyes of the victim,” said O’Brien.
Kitchen will have to register as a sex offender. His full sentencing will be on June 29th.
The victim was in court for today’s hearing. She did not want to speak.
“Because of the position of authority he had with her in connection with the case, the state will be asking for some prison time on the date of sentencing,” this according to O’Brien.
Read more here.